Signature are seeking to introduce a GCSE in BSL. They are developing a qualification specification, which will then be piloted in secondary schools throughout the UK from 2015/2016.
Signature say "BSL deserves the same GCSE status as other minority languages like Gaelic and Welsh. It's introduction into the national curriculum would be a step in the right direction towards providing deaf children with more equal access to education and employment opportunities"
Advantages of a BSL qualification in schools would be:
- enable Deaf children to study their native language at GCSE level or equivalent
- improve the learning experience of Deaf children by giving them a level playing field
- make Deaf children's learning environment more equal
- create a more inclusive educational environment for Deaf children by enabling hearing children to communicate with their Deaf peers
- give BSL the status it deserves in the National Curriculum